Arrival / DismissalArrival / Late Arrival
Supervision is available each school day for students beginning at 7:50am on the campus playground (or cafetorium if inclement weather). For your child’s safety, please ensure they arrive to campus after supervision begins.
Students may not arrive on campus before 7:50am and must not remain on campus after 3:05pm unless under the direct supervision of a teacher. Students will not be allowed to enter the building prior to the start of the school day unless special arrangements have been made for a student to be with a teacher.
7:50am - 8:05am - Early Morning Drop Off to Playground (weather permitting)
- Students arrive on campus and wait in the Playground until first bell
- Parents/guardians are not permitted on the playground (within the fence) during school hours (8am-3pm)
- No “wall-ball” or toys, balls, or equipment from home on the playground
- No “activity” on the playground after 8:00am
- Students arrive on campus, enter the building through the main entrance and proceed directly to the school Cafetorium
8:05am - First bell rings
- Students enter the building (exit Cafetorium) and transition to lockers and homeroom
8:10am - Homeroom begins (late bell rings at 8:10am)
- Students who arrive LATE to school after 8:10am must report to the main office, sign in, and will be marked late. A doctor’s note is required for the tardy to be counted as excused.
Dismissal / Leaving Early
Avon School is a “walking district” and many students are released to walk home. However, the majority of elementary students are dismissed to a parent or designated escort. A Dismissal Procedures Plan is filed for each student with the main office. Changes to this plan must be made in person and cannot be managed over the phone.
The school day ends with the student dismissal bell at 2:57pm each school day (unless Half Day Dismissal: 12:15pm or emergency school closing).
- Kindergarten students exit the building directly from their classroom, southeast corner of the building, onto the closed portion of Fifth Avenue
- Students in Grades 1-4 exit the building through the front of the building onto the closed portion of Fifth Avenue
- Students in Grades 5-8 exit the building through the rear doors onto the playground and typically exit school grounds onto Lincoln Avenue
A student may not leave the school grounds between 8:05am and regular dismissal unless he/she submits a parental note for early dismissal. Early Dismissal notes must be presented to the Main Office at the start of the school day. Student must be signed out before leaving the school grounds by a parent or emergency contact.
Parents who establish medical appointments after the student is already at school should call the main office to arrange for orderly early dismissal of the student. Please do not leave messages about early dismissal on faculty voicemail or e-mail.
Drop Off / Temporary Parking
In order to support safe and orderly Arrival and Dismissal, parents dropping students off by car must utilize the Drop-Off Lane located on the east bound side of Lincoln Avenue leading up to the corner of Fifth and Lincoln Avenues. Students MAY NOT be dropped off or picked up in any other location around the school campus. Students walking to school must use cross walks and sidewalks and obey the Crossing Guard. When riding bikes and skateboards, students must wear helmets and walk them once they arrive to campus.
Parking at Avon School is limited to on street parking only. No vehicle should stand or park in the Fire Lane in front of the school on Fifth Avenue. Visitors may temporarily park in the Drop-Off Lane after 8:30am and before 2:30pm.Special Notice: In cooperation with the Avon Police Department, Fifth Avenue (between Lincoln and Lincoln Lane) will be closed to vehicle traffic on school days during arrival and dismissal (7:15am-8:15am and again from 2:45pm-3:15pm).