Arrival / DismissalArrival / Late Arrival
Early morning supervision for students is available each school day beginning at 7:50 AM on the campus playground (or cafetorium if inclement weather). For your child’s safety, please ensure they arrive at campus after supervision begins.
Students may not arrive on campus before 7:50 AM and must not remain in the building after 3:05 PM unless under the direct supervision of a teacher. Students will not be allowed to enter the building prior to the start of the school day unless special arrangements have been with a teacher.
7:50 AM - Early Morning Supervision
Students arrive on campus and wait in the Playground until the first bell (weather permitting). Inclement Weather: Students arrive on campus, enter the building through the main entrance and proceed directly to the school Cafetorium
- Parents/guardians are not permitted on the playground (within the fence) during school hours (7:50am-3:00pm)
- No “wall-ball” or toys, balls, or equipment from home on the playground
- No “activity” on the playground after 8:00 am
8:05am - School Starts / Late Bell
- Students enter the building (exit Cafetorium during inclement weather) and transition to lockers and homeroom
- Students who arrive LATE to school after 8:05 am must report to the main office, sign in, and will be marked late
2:59 PM - Dismissal
The school day ends with the student dismissal bell at 2:57pm each school day (unless Half Day Dismissal: 12:15pm or emergency school closing).
- Kindergarten students exit the building directly from their classroom, southeast corner of the building, onto the closed portion of Fifth Avenue
- Students in Grades 1-5 exit the building through the front of the building onto the closed portion of Fifth Avenue
- Students in Grades 6-8 exit the building through the rear doors onto the playground and typically exit school grounds onto Lincoln Avenue
Dismissal / Leaving Early
Avon School does not transport students to their homes by bus. Many Middle School students are "Walkers" and have permission to simply walk home at the end of the school day. However, the majority of elementary students are dismissed to a parent or a designated guardian to be "Escorted" home.
A Dismissal Procedures Form must be completed for each student and submitted to the Main Office. Changes to this form must be made in person at the main office and cannot be managed over the phone.
A student may not leave the school grounds between the start of school 8:05 AM and regular dismissal 2:59 PM unless he/she submits a parental note for early dismissal. Early Dismissal notes must be presented to the Main Office at the start of the school day. The student must be signed out before leaving the school grounds by a parent or emergency contact.
Parents who establish medical appointments after the student is already at school should call the main office to arrange for orderly early dismissal of the student. Please do not leave messages about early dismissal on faculty voicemail or e-mail.
Drop Off / Temporary Parking
In order to support safe and orderly Arrival and Dismissal, parents dropping students off by car must utilize the Drop-Off Lane located on the east bound side of Lincoln Avenue leading up to the corner of Fifth and Lincoln Avenues. Students MAY NOT be dropped off or picked up in any other location around the school campus. Students walking to school must use cross walks and sidewalks and obey the Crossing Guard. When riding bikes and skateboards, students must wear helmets and walk them once they arrive to campus.
Parking at Avon School is limited to on street parking only. No vehicle should stand or park in the Fire Lane in front of the school on Fifth Avenue. Visitors may temporarily park in the Drop-Off Lane after 8:30am and before 2:30pm.
Special Notice: In cooperation with the Avon Police Department, Fifth Avenue (between Lincoln and Lincoln Lane) will be closed to vehicle traffic on school days during arrival and dismissal (7:15am-8:15am and again from 2:45pm-3:15pm).