For admission into the Academy of Allied Health and Science (AAHS), Biotechnology High School (BTHS), Communications High School (CHS), and High Technology High School (HTHS) eighth grade students must be Full-Time residents of Monmouth County at the time of the Application Deadline. *Marine Academy of Science and Technology (MAST) accepts applications from out of county, except residents of Ocean County. Ocean County Vocational Technical School offers MATES.
8th grade student, accompanied by a parent/guardian, must attend an information session (Oct./Nov.). You may attend as many information sessions as you like to help you decide which school is right for you. You must attend the information session for the school you apply to and be present for the entire information session.
Submitting an application: You will receive a registration code and information on how to access the online application at the information session you attend.
Students will be required to take an Admissions Exam. The Mathematics and Language Arts exam is based on the NJ Student Learning Standards.
Disclaimer: Please note that the Monmouth County Vocational School District does not endorse, nor has an affiliation with any company/organization soliciting students to take a review class and practice test in order to prepare them for the MCVSD Career Academy Admission Test.
Full Time Secondary Programs Acceptance of Pupils
Marine Academy of Science & Technology
High Technology High School
Monmouth County Academy of Allied Health & Science
Communications High School of Monmouth County
Monmouth County Biotechnology High School
1. Ninth Grade Class
a. Application process:
(1) Applications will be considered for only one school.
(2) Applications will be received after September 1 of the applicants' eighth grade year.
(3) Applications must be complete and supporting materials must be included.
(a) Grade transcript;
(b) Signed application by eighth grade school official; and
(c) Documentation of interest in program provided in the Specialized School.
(4) Applicant and parent(s) or legal guardian(s) must have attended an Information Session for school of application.
(5) Applications must be received in the district central office prior to the application deadline as established annually by the office of the Superintendent. Applicants must be full-time residents of Monmouth County prior to the application deadline. Monmouth County residents attending school outside of the County must have verification of Monmouth County residency from the out-of-county school.
b. Acceptance Criteria
(1) Applicants will be ranked according to the following scoring:
Criteria Maximum Rating
7th Grade (Final Grade) 15
8th Grade (1st Quarter) 15
District Admission Exam
Writing/Language Arts 35
Total Possible 100
Minimum Score for Admission 75
(2) The ratings will be determined as follows:
Number Grade Letter Grade Rating
100-98 A+ 15
97-94 A 14
93-92 A- 13
91-90 B+ 12
89-86 B 11
85-84 B- 10
83-82 C+ 9
81-78 C 8
77-76 C- 7
75-74 D+ 6
73-72 D 5
71-70 D- 4
District Admission Exam: A District Admission Exam will be administered each year. The exam will consist of mathematics concepts and writing/language arts skills. Each part will be scored on a scale of 1-35.
c. Pupil Acceptance
(1) If space does not permit acceptance of all qualified applicants, selection will be made with the following considerations:
(a) The highest scoring qualified applicant from each district pool will be offered admission. Qualified applicants are those who meet the minimum standards as outlined in 1b(1) of this policy. District pool is the resident public school (excluding regional high school districts) that an applicant resides in at the time of application.
(b) In an effort to achieve gender and ethnic balance, additional admission offers may be made to qualified applicants.
(2) Applications from outside of Monmouth County will only be considered for The Marine Academy of Science and Technology as follows:
(a) Applicants from Ocean County are ineligible.
(b) Five spaces may be awarded to out-of-county residents.
(c) Acceptance will be based on established acceptance criteria (1 b).
(d) All applicants will be reviewed in a single pool of "out-of-county” applicants.
The Monmouth County Vocational School District does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender, religion, disability, or socioeconomic status.