Avon Home & School Executive Board
Maggie Kinkela, President
Lauren Kilcomons, Vice President of Public Relations
Lauren Hayser, Vice President of Fundraising
Nicole Szczepaniak, Secretary
Lisa McLain, Class Parent Coordinator
October 9, 2019
- Superintendent’s Corner
- Monday 10/14-No school for students.
- Faculty professional development 10/14-10/15
- NJSLA Data review
- Collaboration with local area schools
- Treasurer’s Report
A very big thank you to Colleen Connolly for her service to the executive board! We are currently looking for a new treasurer. If you ever wanted to get involved with the AHSA, now is the time! Let us know if you are interested or know someone who would be great in the role.
- 8th grade mum sale was a success, the 8th graders are ready for their trip to Washington DC!
- PR & Enrichment Events Report
- Lauren Kilcommons is working on this and will report once assemblies have been scheduled.
- Moira Skinner is adding a new assembly this year on juvenile diabetes in partner with the Juvenile Diabetes Association. This assembly is completely free and will help raise awareness on a very important topic. Date is Tuesday, November 5th 1:45-3. Parents are welcome to attend.
- A new assembly is coming toward the end of the month on Healthy eating and organic farming. Topics will include allergies and will work directly with the school nurse. This is for grades K-8.
- Picture day is currently scheduled for 10/10. Thank you Lauren Kilcomons, Peggy Rielly, and Tonya Boyle for volunteering to help coordinate the kids.
- Fall Afterschool Programs are off to a good start.
- Both Lego Creative Coding & The art of Decorating Sweet Treats are full!
- Upcoming Yoga program- Grades 1-6 on 6 Wednesday afternoons this fall. Flyer was sent out & is on the website.
- Avon’s Got Talent is coming back this year! We are very excited to see what our talented tigers come up with! We would love for as many people to get involved as possible and we are thinking of having the teachers in Pre-k through second grade do a class act! We are currently working on dates & have postponed this until spring.
- Fundraising Report
- Big Ticket for Spring Fundraiser: Hamilton Tickets
- Our raffle license is almost ready & we will be purchasing 2 orchestra tickets for a summer show to raffle off at $20 a ticket.
- AES School Store - Has closed for the Fall. Thank you to everyone who purchased! Looking forward to seeing our tigers in their new Avon wear this year! Look out for the store to reopen in the spring.
- First collection of Box Tops will begin shortly. Send in your box tops with your child’s name and grades and help support this important program. All box tops should be in by October 18th. Thanks to Kristin Fletcher for being Box Top Coordinator. Download the new Box Top app & start an ongoing box top collection by submitting your receipts! SPREAD THE WORD.
- Stop and Shop Card Program - Please sign up for the Stop & Shop program an email was sent out about it last week- SPREAD THE WORD
- We need volunteers for the Craft Fair on November 30th. Sign up on the volunteer sheet. We need 2 people every hour from 9-3.
- We are going to plan a pancake breakfast again this year (thinking the beginning of December to incorporate the Holidays) and are looking for volunteers. We will coordinate with 10:30 am mass at St. Elizabeth’s.
- Stumpy’s Hatchet House Fundraiser- Thank you to Eileen Fitzpatrick for organizing this fun outing. This will be some time in November. Be on the lookout for details to come!
- New Fundraiser Idea- Kitchen tour. Local restaurants will provide food in kitchens around town. Thinking of trying this in June when the weather is nice.
- Harvest Evening Idea: Mardi Gras theme in March. Potentially renting a roulette or black jack table.
- Class Parents Updates
- Thank you to everyone involved in making the 8th grade mum sale such a success! A big thank you to coordinators Kristin Reilly and Marisa Czajkowski.
- It is time to start planning your Halloween Class Parties! Please reach out to teachers and get all food approved by Mrs. Golda. We are also looking into and planning on bringing back pizza for the Halloween parties. Be sure to set up a signup genius or email your parents to help out with food ideas and craft ideas for the younger class.
- Send regular reminders to the families in your class with AHSA events and reminders.
- In an effort to make things easier for all our parents we are proposing a new way to collect money for class parents. Since harvest evening is being pushed back, money collection should be pushed back to late October, early November. We would like to have a sign up genius set up for class parties to help class parents offset those costs. And one collection for gifts instead of multiple. We will be putting a $20 cap on harvest evening gifts and $15 for teacher gifts. Class parents will decide on a gift to purchase for harvest evening and smaller classes will be grouped with larger classes.
- Booster Club - A big thank you to Melanie Duggan for coordinating our Booster Club this year! She is going to put out a letter to all coaches about their wishlists. We are going to run the Superbowl pool and the mini golf outing again this year to fundraise. Be on the lookout for those events!
- Raffles of big ticket items will be coming up
- Looking to rent a hot dog stand (or the like) for Basketball games
- Hospitality Committee - Cookies for teachers December 20th? Need to coordinate with Maggie Kinkela on cookie swap (December 18th?) for distribution and signup. Thanksgiving feast is also coming up.
- Volunteers - New process for volunteer sign-ups: In an effort to organize ourselves, we have assembled a google spreadsheet so everyone can view volunteer opportunities in one spot and sign up. Thank you to Maggie Kinkela and Moira Skinner, Marisa Czajkowski, Kristin Reilly, Peggy Reilly, and Courtney Decker who took additional volunteer roles last month.
We have a few spots left. We want to streamline our process for gaining volunteer support especially for new families who are coming into the school. Let’s make this a great year! Please sign up!!!
- School Directory – Has been sent out via email & included in the weekly school newsletter.