Avon Home & School Executive Board
Nora Hyland, Leigh Johnson, Co-Presidents
Lauren Kilcomons, Vice President of Public Relations
Lauren Hayser, Vice President of Fundraising
Nicole Szczepaniak, Secretary
Colleen Connolly, Treasurer
Lisa McLain, Class Parent Coordinator
October 10, 2018
Meeting opened at 6:17 by Leigh Johnson
- Superintendent’s Corner
- Family University-Social Emotional learning was successful. Topics discussed included morning meeting and developmental needs. Next session idea: Celebrate Calm, More info. to follow.
- Next week (week of 10/15) is school violence awareness week
- Tiger Pride Fridays: wear your Avon gear every friday!
- Treasurer’s Report (Colleen)
- PR & Enrichment Events Report
- Lauren Kilcommons is working on this and will report once assemblies have been scheduled.
- Thank you Lauren Kilcomons and Tanya Boyle for volunteering to help coordinate the kids for picture day.
- Fall Afterschool Programs are off to a good start.
- Crayola World of Design - Exciting arts opportunity for children in grades K-6 on Thursday afternoons this fall. Thank you to the Ami & ? Kass for stepping up as volunteer parents.
- Mad Science - Science exploration opportunity for children in grades K-4 on eight Tuesday afternoons this fall. Thank you to the Maura Skinner for stepping up as volunteer parents.
- If you haven’t sent in your money for these activities please do so ASAP.
- Upcoming Halloween After School Crafts - Weds, October 24th
- Fundraising Report
Our biggest fundraiser of the year is THIS SATURDAY. Harvest Evening Hoedown will be held on October 13th at 6pm at the Municipal Building. We need all your support to pass the word, sell tickets and help with the planning! SPREAD THE WORD
- Decoration Committee –Kristen Reilly is coordinating decorations prior to the start of the event. The 8th grade students will decorate pumpkins and place them at the municipal building on 10/12. Lauren Hayser and Maura Bannerman will coordinate. Volunteers are needed to help set up Saturday morning.
- Graphics & Ticket Design – Thank you to Lisa McLain for coordinating & donating the posters and tickets.
- Advanced Ticket Sales – We will not have the option to purchase tickets online this year. Tickets can be preordered with a check to AHSA, cash at the door or VENMO (@Harvest_evening18).
- 50/50 Raffle Tickets & Billy Joel Raffle Tickets have been selling. Please attempt to sell these tickets to family and friends and provide the ticket stubs and the monies to your class parent or someone on the eboard no later than Thursday, October 11th.
- Scarecrows are back and look great around town. Thanks to everyone who has already "adopted" a scarecrow and to those who put them out.
- Harvest Evening Hoedown Gift Auction - All gift donations need to be brought to Lauren Hayser’s house by tonight.
- Almost all of the AES Staff members have donated lots of fun activities that the kids will love - THANK YOU! ( 20 staff members: (Ms. Rust, Ms O, Mr. Trapani, Mrs. Mac, Mr. A, Mrs. Lemonowicz, Mrs. Lazarchick, Mrs. Fahy, Ms. Bellini, Ms. Lemeris, Mrs, Golda, Ms. Kuhlthau, Ms. Ciufo, Mrs. Silvestri, Mrs. Keane, Ms. Stucy, Mrs. Rose & Martin, Mr. Nappo, Mrs. McGrath)
- We need volunteers to wrap Gift baskets for the auction. If you are interested in participating in wrapping and/or delivering baskets we are wrapping right after this meeting at Lauren Hayser’s house.
- We are utilizing the AHSA Facebook page to promote our event. Please consider sharing this event with your network.
- Sign-ups needed for working the event this year. We have set up a signup genius with time slots that we need help with on the night of the event. Areas are: Check in, ticket sales, 50/50 selling, clean-up and basket patrol. Please sign up through the genius, volunteer tonight or email AHS@avonschool.com with your availability.
- Fundraising Report (continued)
- AES School Store -
- Thank you Lauren Hayser for coordinating the Summer Craft Fair at the Boardwalk and to those who volunteered. We were very successful in our fundraiser this year! We made $1,263. Thank you also for coordinating the Chipotle Fundraiser. That brought in a few hundred dollars in spite of the torrential rain.
- First collection of Box Tops will begin shortly. Send in your box tops with your child’s name and grades and help support this important program. Box Tops are due on October 15th
- Stop and Shop Card Program - register and register your friends.
- We need volunteers for the Craft Fair on November 24th. Can sign up on the volunteer sheet.
- Class Parents Updates
- Thank you to the class parents for coordinating the class baskets - K & 1st – Yeti Cooler, 2nd & 3rd – xbox, 4th & 5th – 2 surfboards, 6th & 7th – designer bag, and 8th – 2 beach cruisers
- 8th Grade Mum Sale – We sold a lot of mums! Thank you to our coordinators Lauren Hayser and Maura Bannerman.
- Time to start planning the Halloween Parties. We will have pizza included in the parties. Please reach out to your classes to tell them to pack a light lunch that day. In the meantime, reach out to teachers and get all other food approved by Mrs. Golda.
- There are a few families who have no turned in Back to School forms. Nora will reach out to class parents to let them know who needs to turn them in.
- Booster Club - November 17th - Free Throw Contest Fundraiser! Details to follow.
- Hospitality Committee - Thank you to Peggy Reilly, Gracia Phillips and the Sunshine & Hospitality Committee for the Back to School Teacher’s Breakfast and the New Families Breakfast.
- Volunteers - New process for volunteer sign-ups: In an effort to organize ourselves, we have assembled a google spreadsheet so everyone can view volunteer opportunities in one spot and sign up. Thank you to Maggie Kinkela and Moira Skinner, Marisc Czajkowski, Kristin Reilly, Peggy Reilly, and Courtney Decker who took additional volunteer roles last month.
We have a few spots left. We want to streamline our process for gaining volunteer support especially for new families who are coming into the school. Let’s make this is a great year! Please sign up!!!
- Harvest Evening Decorations
- Harvest Evening - Helping that night
- Holiday Craft Fair - Set-up and/or work the Table
- Family Fun Night - Coordinators
- Scholastic Book Fair - Coordinators
- Fun Run - co- Coordinator
- Avon’s Got Talent - Coordinator
- School Directory – we are finalizing the school directory and will email out the digital version once it is ready. Thanks to Joan O’Hear for taking the lead on this this year.
- Other Business-
- Girls on The Run-Looking into this program for Spring with Miss. O.