Lab Safety Guidelines
Avon Elementary School
Please keep this copy for your records.
- Report all accidents, injuries, and breakages of equipment to the teacher immediately, no matter how small it might seem.
- Do not touch broken equipment! Report it to the teacher, and the teacher will clean it up.
- Keep pathways clean by placing backpacks or unneeded books under the lab benches.
- When appropriate, long hair must be tied back.
- Do not eat, drink, or chew gum during hands on activities.
- Return all tools and equipment in clean and working order to the proper storage container or area.
- If anything comes in contact with your eyes, report the incident to the teacher who will assist in using the eyewash. If anything comes in contact with your skin, report it to the teacher who will instruct you of the next steps.
- Conduct yourself in a responsible and self-controlled manner at all times. Horseplay or fooling around in the lab area during hands-on activities will not be tolerated.
- When instructed by the teacher, closed toe footwear is required.
- Safety goggles should be worn to protect the eyes when instructed to do so or when conducting certain hands-on activities, such as dissections and use of chemicals.
- Follow all instructions given by your teacher.